Sunday, December 21, 2003
Energy Independence = National Security
I’m continually amazed how many people that are not environmentalists respond positively to the theme of energy independence. I attribute this to American’s longing for self-reliance. After all, energy independence is good national security. Plus, the pursuit of energy independence frees Americans entrepreneurial spirit to innovate.
This is a good issue for Kerry because it highlights his two strengths; foreign policy and the environment.
· Elimination of many federal subsidies to oil and energy companies in favor of redirecting the money to research in renewable energy technologies
· Offer tax credits for energy-efficient buildings and homes
· Supports a national goal of producing 20 percent of our electricity from renewable sources by 2020
· Building infrastructure to improve the supply of natural gas (cheapest and cleanest of all energy sources) from Alaska
· Increase our fuel economy standards to 36 miles per gallon by 2015 and provide tax incentives for consumers to buy the vehicles
· Calls to create a New Energy Economy to free American industries and ingenuity to discover new technologies